Subcribe to our RSS feeds Join Us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Add to Circles

Categories

Saturday, August 29, 2015

3 hrs. working on the fuel tanks.

OK, so we have to get from the fitting on the right to the large hole just under the painter's tape.  BTW, I had drill that hole out to 11mm to accommodate the grommet that fits in there.

I would suggest ignoring the bend diagram in the instructions.  It's easier to figure it out live.  Just do follow the general instructions...

Here I am doing the first bend...

It was at this point that I realized why the instructions have you put the z-section bracket on here.  You have to get around that bracket.  I didn't put the bracket on and as a result I made my first bend too high.  Ugh...

Bracket on...

Put the bracket on and had to strategize how I was going to get around the bracket now that my first bend was too high.  I decide to try and flatten out that first bend as much as possible and take it from there. 

For each bend I was going to make I put a small Sharpie mark where the bend was going to be and I put the mark on the side that was going to be the outside of the bend.

Keep in mind that with the tube bending tool shown above, the bend was really going to start after the tick mark.  Getting there!

Next mark to make the final bend, which proved to be difficult to do with the tool I was using.  Too tight quarters.

So, I used this tool, which is normally for flanges.

And we're getting through the hole now!   Also put on Rib 106 to check the clearance (there's not much room) - and we're fine.

But, it's supposed to get through the hole perpendicularly, so I hand bent it some more.... and ended up crimping the tube a bit...  I think it's fine as it's very slight - but it annoyed the hell out of me...

Put the grommet in and inserted the tube.  It's supposed to stick out from the skin anywhere from 20mm to 25mm and it was about 27mm.  I cut it down with my Dremel tool to 21mm.  I'll do a better job at the bending procedure for the left tank.  Funny thing - by the time you're an expert at a skill, you no longer need that skill...  Tomorrow, lots of sealing!  Fuel cap, fuel drain, forming holes and the sender.

No comments:

Post a Comment