Subcribe to our RSS feeds Join Us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Add to Circles

Categories

Monday, October 24, 2016

I'm planning to use the Garmin GTX 45R for my combo transponder/ADS-B In/Out solution along with the RAMI AV-74 blade antenna and was wondering if anybody building a 4 had given any consideration to where to locate that antenna?  Since I'm installing soundproofing, and considering how difficult it is to remove, I'd like to plan now as to where it will be so I can do the right thing now with regards to any installation brackets, holes and the soundproofing.

I'm assuming the COM2 RAMI AV-17 antenna will be in the bottom of the rear fuselage, so I don't need to worry about soundproofing issues.  Anybody doing things differently?

 Thanks!

2 comments:

  1. I believe the hole in the front fuselage floor inside the center console is where TAF mounts the transponder antenna, but they use the monopole type so just a single hole in the outer skin and the cable comes up through the hole in the top skin inside the center console. I was thinking of mounting mine in front of the gear to the right or left of center. You can't mount it in the center because the elevator stop is there. I left the soundproofing uninstalled in those bays so I could mount the antenna there. I did find a monopole type antenna that works with ADS-B so I might give that a try first it's only $30.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm going to go with a blade. Jean had recommended that to me at Oshkosh since the monopoles can be fragile. I may put it centered just behind the rear seat in the rear fuselage. Or just behind the gear, off center.

    ReplyDelete