Subcribe to our RSS feeds Join Us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Add to Circles

Categories

Sunday, October 15, 2017

I declare my testing of the spackle approach to filling rivets a total success!

My smear of the spackle on the skin surface was totally immovable after it dried.  I then sprayed primer on that and the rivets on my test piece.  Most of these rivets were shot yesterday at the airport open house and were not shot with the correct sized head, hence the ridge on them.  The one on the right of course has no fill, so that's what it would look like without the fill.

This one was shot today with the correct size head, so minimal ridge and the fill looks great.  If you want it even flatter you could quickly sand it after the spackle is dry.  Maybe I'll try that tomorrow before I make my page for the method.

6 comments:

  1. Is this spackle like the kind you use on drywall? If so, I'd be concerned about it's ability to
    withstand flexing with temperature and mechanical flexing. I know using it on drywall it can fail over time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, this is going only be used for filling rivets, which is a tiny amount inside an inflexible rivet. I don't think it's going to be stressed at all. Even if it turned into a powder I don't think it would matter since it will have been covered by a few layers of primer and paint. The hole opening is quite small.

      Delete
  2. Try multiple temperature cycles in freezer and oven (100F) and see how it performs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I could try that. I think it will be fine, but worth testing if I'm going to recommend it.

      Delete
    2. Always the verification guy! ;-)

      Delete
    3. would be a shame to see all your rivets open after an expensive paint job. :)

      Delete