Subcribe to our RSS feeds Join Us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Add to Circles

Categories

Wednesday, November 11, 2015

2 hrs. taking the now sealed fuel tank off the wing and trimming back the skin on the top.

Before I get into the pictures I'd like to encourage people to join the builder's forum I added to the site.  I know it might take a while to get busier, but that will only happen if people join and post.  So please do!  Thanks!  Now, back to our regular programming... ;-)

Following Gordon's advice to put painter's tape on the spar so the fuel tank wouldn't stick was a good move.  As you can see here it would have been very frustrating if it had stuck.  Even with this there was still some stickiness and I had to give it a good tug to get it off.

And it's off!  Contemplating how to do the leak testing.  There are two openings on this end and the drain at the other end.  I'm thinking to plug these two and attach a balloon to the fuel drain with a tee connection to enable blowing it up (basically stealing Gordon's idea ;-)).  Thanks Gordon!

While I contemplate (and obtain the necessary fixtures) it's time to trim back the skin where it didn't line up with the leading edge.  The two dashes at the left end are: top line, where I want the cut (8mm from top edge) and the bottom line (5mm away from that) where the straightedge will go and the nibbler will ride along.

Ready to go!

Here's a video of me doing the cut:


Perfect!

NEXT SESSIONS:
  1. Cut bottom edge back to match.
  2. Get together the necessary fixtures to do the leak test and...
  3. Test!

No comments:

Post a Comment