Subcribe to our RSS feeds Join Us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Add to Circles

Categories

Sunday, August 12, 2018

5, sometimes painful, hours installing the landing main landing gear structure.

I put torque seal on the rivnuts that stick out into the channel to see if they touch the gear structure.  There are 4 that stick out.

They do, so I marked them clearly with Sharpie and I filed out the smallest amount necessary so the gear doesn't press against the rivnuts.

I can do it easily, but I wonder why the factory didn't prime that bottom section?  BTW, at this point I have 1 top bolt in to act as the pivot to get a second bolt in on the other side.

Using Bob Zaleski's method of using a 2x4 and a car jack I spread the gear until the second hole was nearly lined up.  I ended up spreading the gear several inches to achieve this.

Another view.

Working hard to get the second bolt in (BTW, I had a friend over to help on this as this would be very difficult alone (but do-able as I think other people have)).

Using my ScotchBrite wheel to make the end a bit pointed helps a lot.  I also sprayed some LPS-2 in the hole to help it along.

Using various ways to leverage the bolts in and eventually tapping it in with a hammer were the tricks to get them to go in.

The 4th one was a bitch....  At that point the position is firmly set so if that hole is even slightly off (which it was), the fit will be VERY tight.  The only way we were able to get it in was to screw it in (very slow process!) most of the way before a hammer will work at all.  Still need to torque the bolts to 24 nm, which is 18 ft-lbs.

And it's on!!!  Now, let's get the wheels on, the engine mount on with the nose wheel and get it on its wheels!

No comments:

Post a Comment