Subcribe to our RSS feeds Join Us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Add to Circles

Categories

Saturday, December 22, 2018

3.5 hrs. mostly on the brake line pass-throughs.

I was originally going to put a pass-through fixture on the fuselage skin for the brake lines, but that's really not necessary and just another place you can have leaks.  The next option is a simple grommet, but you can't just drill a hole and put a grommet because the pre-made stainless steel lines have AN3 connectors already installed that are bigger than the line itself (unless you use a extra large grommet and are OK with a hole in the fuselage, which I was not).  So, the answer is a split piece of aluminum to hold the grommet with a larger hole in the fuselage underneath for the connector to pass through.

In other news, I received my M8 and M10 x .75 nuts..... Neither fits the dimmer....  The only size I haven't tried is 3/8" - 16.  Why am I not hopeful....

My wake-up call this morning. 😊

The lines arrived this morning.  Nicely done!  They are 50" long.

I cut out pieces that would fit snugly in the existing outer skin cutouts.

Fits (50mm across).

My rough placement plan.  I didn't want the line pass-through to be in the middle because that exactly lines up with the floor inside and I didn't want an interference problem.

Have I mentioned I love step drill bits?  Sizing these holes to just fit the grommet.

Fits!

Pilot holes where the screws will pass through.  No need for precision here as all this won't be visible.

Now drill the holes through the fuselage to locate where the rivnuts and larger pass-through hole will go.

Used the step drill bit again to drill out the pass-through hole.  Fits through nicely.

Drilled and reamed out the holes for the rivnuts and installed them.

Drilled out the holes in the plate to fit the screws and did a test fit.

With all that done it was time to split the plate and do the install.  The grommet actually needs to be split too because you can't fit it over the connector.

And it's installed (both sides done)!  I put blue, medium strength, Loctite on the screws.  In case you're wondering why the upper screws aren't higher, it's because I wanted them close to where the grommet would be.

I have to decide if I want to ream out the channel a bit to fit the line as it's slightly bigger than 1/4".  In any case you do want to leave a bit of slack in the line to account for flexing of the gear.

No comments:

Post a Comment