Subcribe to our RSS feeds Join Us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Add to Circles

Categories

Friday, August 2, 2019

I'm planning to install the 914 fuel injection addon from Edge Performance and am considering doing it now versus doing it later (my original plan).  Doing it now would certainly save me work since I haven't done all the fuel/oil/coolant/electrical work yet and that would largely have to be redone.

Here's the installation manual, which I think is very well done.

Doing this means not using the current TCU (and its harness...) and not using the current fuel pumps as it comes with high pressure pumps (which look already assembled...).  Of course the carbs are gone and they recommend using a intercooler which they say may involved a bit of work to figure out how to install it.

Using their control unit and the intercooler and I'd see 125 HP (vs. 115 with the stock 914) with better fuel economy.

I'm interested in your thoughts on this!  I'm leaning toward doing it now, but still not a slam dunk in my mind since it would delay the completion.  I'm guessing it would mean a 2-ish month delay.

2 comments:

  1. I considered putting the 915 in mine but eventually decided against it after a few communications with Mike. With the increase in HP, you will increase the airspeed. What the performance difference is a bit of an unknown for the aftermarket kit. Remember the Vne speed does not change (unless you want to change to the TSI wings). In the case of the 915, I would have got a higher cruise speed thus I would be operating in the "yellow arc" during cruise. Mike indicated I would need to watch the speed more closely. The only unknown is what performance increase is but with a normal cruise of about 120kts and a Vne of 135kts I think running the mod will put you in the yellow arc as well. I suppose you could run less RPM to reduce cruise airspeed and not operate at max continuous RPM. You will also need a different propeller than the standard AP332 as it is only rated for a maximum of 120hp.
    Just some of the things I went through in my decision that may or may not help.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, my mind on this has moved from 60% Yes on Friday to 80% No today... It's just too much of a redirect for me at this time and unclear on the ultimate benefits. I was mostly looking for fuel savings plus a little more speed. Maybe some time down the road.
      Thanks for your input, I appreciate it.

      Delete