Subcribe to our RSS feeds Join Us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Add to Circles

Categories

Sunday, February 17, 2019

After doing that gluing with the Barge yesterday and realizing that some of my next gluing will require a lot of glue I decided to do more research on glue and the danger of using the various types.

Long story short, while Barge is amazing, I think it's best for smaller pieces to be glued together - The original formulation I was using is very dangerous stuff as it contains a large percentage of toluene (and other bad chemicals).  Nasty.  Fortunately I was wearing the highest-rated respirator, so no issue (though even with that on I was able to get a whiff of it...), but the smell lingers and I'd rather not breath it.

I spent over an hour this morning researching low-odor alternatives and I decided to try Gorilla Construction Adhesive.  You can use it without a respirator and will bond nearly any combination of materials quickly.  Read more here.

Fortunately my local (and close by) Ace Hardware carries it so I ran over and got some.  We'll see how it goes.  Today I'll just try it on some smaller pieces and see how it works out over night.

No comments:

Post a Comment