Subcribe to our RSS feeds Join Us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Add to Circles

Categories

Tuesday, January 3, 2017

Couple of questions for the builders out there:
  1. Are people painting their firewalls?  I see the factory does that and I asked about it - they use high temp paint (not surprisingly).  But, reading about those paints, it seems they require high temperature curing to be properly fire-resistant.  Thoughts?
  2. Are people greasing the rose joints?  I don't see anything in the manuals about doing that, but someone pointed out that those usually get greased.
Thanks!

EDIT: Well, there is this paint, which does not require curing (though it doesn't go up to 2000F).  They also have "Ultra High Heat", though it doesn't go any higher temp-wise.

3 comments:

  1. Craig - I have used the Rustoleum high heat paint before on exhaust side pipes for the cobra replica I previously built. Th paint holds up pretty well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Scott. I'll look into it further to see what other people do with their firewalls.

      Delete
    2. I noticed the firewall on the Sling is galvanized. On my Sonx its Stainless Steel and left it unfinished since it looks good and is easy to clean (let's face it all aircraft engines spew oil).

      Delete