Subcribe to our RSS feeds Join Us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Add to Circles

Categories

Sunday, August 27, 2017

3 hrs. yesterday removing the magnetometer and making the connector for the ELT.

Since the magnetometer is moving to the rear fuselage (the factory is fabricating a new mount for me) it was time to remove it from under the luggage section.  Gone!

Despite being an electrical engineer, I can't say I enjoy making connectors...  Conveniently the ELT comes with the necessary parts to make it's connector.

I'll be using a 3-wire shielded cable and a 2-wire shielded cable.  Don't forget to put the rubber gasket on first.

Striped and ready to go.

Making sure I know which wires go where.

If I had a third (and fourth!) hand I wouldn't need one of these...  You need one.

Soldering in the required jumper.

Wire in place.  Apply the heat to the connection, not the solder.

My plan as to which colored wires go to which signal.

One-by-one...

I'm bringing a Ground back to the panel and the install instructions say to ground the shield to that.  So, those connections are under the heat shrink tubing.

In the shell and ready to close.

Don't forget to put the attachment screws before putting the other half of the shell on (don't ask how I know this... ;-)).

And it's done!

And in place!  I'll double check the wiring today with a meter.

No comments:

Post a Comment