Subcribe to our RSS feeds Join Us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Add to Circles

Categories

Sunday, September 2, 2018

2 hrs. on wheel spats and engine mount.

The 2nd page of the main wheel spat instructions indicate that this bolt is a AN5-6A, which if you look here, seems too long.  Looking back to the 1st page says it's a -5A, which is the right size.

Since this hole is a fixed location I will drill this first.

The manual shows that a penny washer goes on both sides of the spat, but I have no idea how I'd hold the inside one in place while I put the bolt through...

So, I decided to glue it in place.  Don't see anything wrong with that.

While that was drying I torqued the lower engine mount bolts to 24nm (17.7 ft-lbs).  NOTE: This value is not correct.  See this later blog post regarding the correct value.

My gluing worked perfectly and was easily able to put the bolt in.

Inside view.  Now, how to locate where to drill the holes for those 4 rivnuts on the brackets...?  Note that there are 4 dimples on the cover which the manual indicates is where you drill the holes.  Those do not line up with the rivnuts, so don't do that...

Maybe I can spy it with my boroscope...

Well, I can certainly look through it, but that experiment failed to produce a viable way to locate those holes.  I've come up with another way, but will have to either order something or jury rig something.  Stay tuned.

Hmmm... Seems like trying to screw in all 6 screws is quite problematic since the cover has to bend around the brackets (which I think stick out a bit too far) so it makes it difficult to get in the last one or two screws.

In this case, one is basically impossible to screw in as it's too far off.  What to do??  I may need to relocate that hole. :-(.  Any other thoughts?

You can kind of see here how the bracket seems to stick out too far IMHO.

Close up of the last impossible-to-screw-in holes.  A bridge too far...

The right side is actually worse.  Well, other than doing those last 4 bracket holes (and the misalignment issue), it's ready to go on its wheels...

No comments:

Post a Comment