Subcribe to our RSS feeds Join Us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Add to Circles

Categories

Tuesday, September 25, 2018

Just wanted to note that I've been emailing with Mike at the factory regarding the torquing of the firewall/engine mount bolts.  I'd read on blogs that these were torqued to 24Nm (17.7 ft-lbs), but this contradicted what was in the Sling 4 Maintenance Manual and what is standard torque for AN5 bolts, which is ~16Nm (11.8 ft-lbs) plus the friction drag.  More specifically, Van's aircraft's torque guide says 8.3 ft-lbs to 11.6 ft-lbs for AN5 bolts.

I've already torqued my lower bolts to 24Nm (though that felt tight to me) and I'm soon going to be torquing the upper bolts, so I wanted to double check.

Mike says that these should be torqued to 16Nm (plus friction drag, which the factory measures as 4Nm, so the factory torques to 20Nm (14.8 ft-lbs)), not 24Nm.  So... I need to remove the lower nuts, toss them and re-torque new nuts to 16Nm plus the friction drag, which I will measure first to confirm.

Anybody think I need to toss the bolts too?  As an experiment in the past I've over-torqued a nut and it didn't take much to destroy the bolt (it snapped into two pieces!).  I don't want to replace the bolts if I don't have to because if I pull the bolts then the engine mount holes will likely mis-align again and will be very difficult to re-line up with the firewall holes.

I'll likely replace the bolts too..

Another note: Make sure you have at least 1 full thread showing beyond the nut.  If you have more than 3 it's highly likely you're tightening against the shank and that is not good.  In that case it's often best to go with a shorter bolt (though adding another washer is possible, though that's a less ideal solution).

No comments:

Post a Comment