Subcribe to our RSS feeds Join Us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Add to Circles

Categories

Saturday, October 27, 2018

3 hrs. on the dash.

Got my spade connectors and crimper.  Don't buy cheapo connectors.

Time to stitch the dash to ensure the leather doesn't creep back (it's only glued).  I made a 5/8" jig to make the drilling easier.  I found that a 3/16" drill bit was perfect for fitting the Speedy Stitcher awl.

Drilling along the ridge at the edge of the dash.  Lots of holes...

122 to be exact (your mileage may vary)...

I figured it would be easier to do the stitching with the dash positioned like this.

Need to measure out enough thread to go all the way around the dash plus several inches for tying the knots at the end.

First stitch done...

Backside view.  Be mindful of where your hand is on the backside when you're pushing the needle through - it is wicked sharp!!

Pulling the long thread through the loop.

Almost done...  It's convenient that the awl just hangs there.  Makes it easy to pull the thread through the loop.

At the end and pulling the needle back out, so I can cut it and tie it up on the backside.  A few knots and it was secure.

My grandma would have been proud!  She was a seamstress. :-)

Here's a video I made of how to do it.


After some measuring I figured I needed some more room for mounting the parachute handle hardware.  This should definitely be enough.

Starting to ream out the panel holes (they were a bit too small for the M4 screws).  I'll finish that tomorrow and mount the panel in the dash. :-D

No comments:

Post a Comment