Subcribe to our RSS feeds Join Us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Add to Circles

Categories

Wednesday, October 31, 2018

1 hr deciding I don't like hex head screws....  Have you ever noticed how close a six-sided shape is to a circle?....  In other words, I've found that they too easily strip if there's much resistance to turning it.  And I'm using top quality screws with a perfectly matched top quality hex key...

Well, that happened with screwing in the panel and now I have a screw that is totally stripped, which is tightly attached to a loose rivnut...  I'll figure out how to get the screw out, but I'm switching these screws to philips heads.  M4, black, carbon steel philips head screws arriving tomorrow...


4 comments:

  1. Square head and star are by far the best choices if available, with the caveat that you need to have the drivers readily available since they're not so ubiquitous. Phillips often strips worse then hex,v somehow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Star (also called Torx) are definitely the best. From my experience with hex - They Suck. Even with top quality screws and perfectly sized tools, they strip far too easily. Easier than Philips for sure. Philips are actually designed to cam out if too much torque is applied. With good quality Philips head screws and appropriately sized driver they work quite well.
      I thought about star, but the ubiquity of Philips won out.

      Delete
  2. Are you using a 6 sided socket or a 12 sided?
    6 sided is best for these since there's more surface in contact with the socket.

    ReplyDelete