Subcribe to our RSS feeds Join Us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Add to Circles

Categories

Saturday, October 6, 2018

4.5 hrs tightening the seat belt reel bolts and putting on the front top skin.

The bolt head of the seat belt reel.  This view is from the boroscope I bought.  I don't know how I'd do this without that useful tool.

And the wrench has docked!  With help from a friend got both nuts torqued.

Time to put on the front top skin.  Cleco'ing from underneath helped keep all 4 layers of metal lined up while working on this.

Working my way across.

Hmm...  Pretty misaligned on the right side.  I tried various cleco'ing patterns but it didn't make much difference - it was going to be off somewhere.  So, I decided to upsize all these front holes to 4mm.

Getting the sub-panel rib cleco'ed wasn't too bad, but it did need encouragement.

All cleco'ed up and the front upsized.

Taping it off for the sealing.

Cleaned and primed.

The skin cleaned and primed.  Note that I had already put on soundproofing material a while ago.  Note that the primer is in a ceramic cup.  This time I didn't make the mistake of putting it in a plastic cup, which it eats through in mere seconds.

I put a thin bead of the Sikaflex on the fuselage all the way around and re-cleco'ed the skin back on.  Here it's all done!  I neglected to put tape on the skin so it got on that in various places... And it dried pretty quick, so I couldn't just wipe it all off with paper towel.  But, acetone cleaned it up no problem.

Inside view.  Nice!

2 comments:

  1. What's all those shards of metal in the bore scope picture of the bolt/socket? :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's just metallic dust that has accumulated from working on the plane. I've tried to vacuum up as much as I can, but there are some areas that are harder to get to.

      Delete